Who’s all done with holiday gift shopping? Not me. This year I’m at a bit of a standstill as I reevaluate what my three tween boys are into. They’re no longer interested in cars and trucks (unless of course they are remote control and fly). They are now a whole different breed. They are somewhere in between being a child and a teen-a tween which is a very distinct category of boys and girls generally between the ages of 8 and 12 who are pre-adolescent. According to the US Census there are currently 20 million tweens in the U.S. and they are projected to hit 23 million by 2020. I have three of them.
It’s not easy buying for a tween. Video games are an easy out, but I thought I would share some screen-free alternatives fit for a tween boy. Maybe there’ll be one that works for yours.
Top 20 gifts for tween boys
- If you haven’t seen or tried the Perplexus Epic or the Perplexus Maze Game you are missing out. These things are guaranteed hours of entertainment. For the record I’ve tried both of them and I’m horrible.
- Phase 10 Card Game-This game comes from the makers of UNO. It’s a rummy-type card game with a challenging and exciting twist. All three of my boys love it.
- You can never have too many Air Hogs – Hover Assault. We love these amazing remote controlled airplanes. Be sure to stock up on batteries because they run out constantly. This Air Hog comes with remote missile launching capabilities. That’s right.
- So much for not wanting toy guns in my house. Boys will be boys and everything from a wooden spoon to a toilet paper roll turns turns into a gun. So we broke and now Nerf guns are all the rage. Friends come over and all out battles ensue. This N-Strike Elite Retaliator Blaster is da bomb.
- To go along with the Nerf gun game add in a pair of Nerf Walkie Talkies. This really adds a new dimension to the game.
- There’s nothing like a good ol’ fashioned game of Monopoly. The entire family can play. Good news there a short version included in the box too. Most of know this game can go on for days.
- If you’re looking for a big gift this is where it’s at. The Razor Ground Force Drifter Go Kart will turn your neighborhood upside down. It has a secure seat belt and only goes up to 12 mph (which feels fast when you’re driving). It holds up to 140 lbs.
- Bring this special Nerf Firevision Sports Football to the bus stop with you every morning. We do! Great addition to any sporty kids ball collection.
- Venture into the world of yo-yo’s with this Duncan Yo-Yo. Add to the gift with a Yo-Yo Trick Book.
- If traditional yo-yo’s aren’t your thing try out this Chinese yo-yo called a Diabolo.
- A not to be missed book series for every tween boy is Rick Riordan’s The Kane Chronicles (Bundle): The Red Pyramid, The Throne of Fire, The Serpent’s Shadow.
- Looking for a new bike helmet? We’ve tried out many and the Triple Eight Helmet is our tried and true go-to helmet. It comes in a variety of colors and styles.
- Our Ripstik, best described as a cross between a skateboard and a snowboard, has been around for years and continues to provide hours of outdoor entertainment.
- With The Hobbit movie being released in just a few days reading all four books in the series will be on every boys holiday gift list: J.R.R. Tolkien 4-Book Boxed Set: The Hobbit, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, The Return of the King.
- If your kiddies are into photography and making movies then this gift is right up their ally: The Klutz Book of Animation: How to Make Your Own Stop Motion Movies.
- The Original Buddha Board was a gift to us a few years ago. This amazing Zen-like Etch-a-Sketch uses a brush to paint designs onto the board with water. As the water evaporates your image will fade, but will reveal a new perspective on your creative endeavors, encouraging the Zen idea of living in the moment.
- Take your paper airplanes to a new level with this PowerUp(TM) Electric Paper Airplane Conversion Kit. The PowerUp Electric Power Module converts your basic homemade paper airplane into an electrical aircraft capable of over 30 seconds of flight. Simply design your own paper airplane, attach the PowerUp electrical module, and let the fun begin.
- A combination of LEGOS and orgami let your kids make these PIPEROID paper robots. These are unique paper craft robot kits which can be assembled in less than 30 minutes. The only tool needed is scissors; no tape or glue needed.