Time to Get Fit!
We are well into fall here in New England and this is my favorite time of year to head outside to get fit in the great outdoors. The cool, crisp air makes running, cycling and any other form of outdoor exercise so enjoyable.
This year I’ve joined forces with PlanetShoes.com and an amazing group of bloggers, the Sole Sisters, to help spread the word about an online campaign called Get Fit for Fall. Get Fit for Fall challenges YOU to accomplish your fitness goals with the help of PlanetShoes and your fellow fitness fanatics.
We kicked off Get Fit for Fall with an amazing bootcamp let by the founder of Boston’s Bootcamp, Kelsey Raycroft (photo below from Kelsey). I wasn’t sure what to expect, but she was able to accommodate all levels and completely challenged me. Yes, I was sucking wind. If you look closely in this photo you’ll spy a few Boston bloggers including Julia from It’s Not Like a Cat, Lynn from Maven of Savin, Kimberly from The Girl is a Mom. Somehow Jessica from Don’t Mind the Mess didn’t make the photo, but was there working hard.
My New Balance Shoes from PlanetShoes.com
I’m very picky when it comes to my running shoes. My orthodics need to fit inside so the shoe generally needs to be deep. I also need a lot of support so I don’t have a recurrence of plantar fasciitis and a heel spur. These shoes from New Balance fit the bill (they’re on sale now too!).
5 Ways to Get Fit for Fall and Beyond
Here are a few of my tips to get fit and stay healthy.
- Establish a routine. Make fitness part of your weekly routine by setting aside a specific time for your workout. Add it to your calendar as you would any other appointment. That way you’ll be more likely to stick to your goal.
- Set a realistic goal. Remember as you set your goal that nothing is set in stone. Goals can be revised and revisited as your workout routine progresses and changes.
- Find an activity that you like. This is probably the most important tip. You’ll be more likely to stick to your goals and routine if you’re doing something that you love. Running may not be for you. If you love Frisbee find an ultimate Frisbee club. If yoga‘s your thing find a place which offers classes you enjoy.
- Get out and play. Mix up your fitness routine so you don’t end up on a rut. Fall is the perfect time to head outside for a brisk walk or a run. Try to find a balance between cardio and weight training.
- Use a buddy system. Exercise with a friend. You’re more likely to show up if someone’s waiting for you. Encourage each other and provide support when needed.
What tips do you have to stick with a fitness routine?
Disclosure: The kind folks at Planetshoes.com sent me a pair of running shoes to kick off the Get Fit For Fall campaign. All opinions are my very own. Always.