When my friend Lindsay asked if I wanted to participate in a 30 Day Deep Breathing Challenge my first thought was I’m way too busy. Then I managed to take a step back only to realize the timing was perfect. This is a transitional time of year for many of us – school’s starting, the seasons are changing and life as we know it is being shaken up. I’m the first to admit that I don’t always handle change very well so a few deep breaths are much needed.
Over the years I’ve incorporated deep breathing or meditation into my life, but generally only on an as needed basis. Overall life seems to get so busy and my deep breathing gets shuffled to the end of the to-do list.
What is the 30 Day Deep Breathing Challenge?
There’s a simple theory out there which says deep breathing (meditation) is linked to a more relaxed and happy life. Hard to deny that and I’ve experienced it firsthand. Simply put- it works.
The challenge is easy: Every day for the next 30 days commit to doing deep breathing at some point throughout the day.
I’ll be deep breathing along with several other bloggers. You can follow the conversation on Twitter with the #BreatheDeep hashtag, and follow their blogs: Lindsay Dahl, EnviroBooty, Conscientious Confusion, Made in USA Challenge, Tea with Dee, Jen and Joey Go Green, Almost All the Truth , Green4u, and more!
Tips for Deep Breathing or Meditation
- Deep breathing can happen anywhere. Find what works for you.
- There is no right or wrong way to deep breathe.
- Smile. Try it. Smiling keeps you relaxed and focused.
- Find a time that works for you. Maybe it’s when you wake up or after the kids leave for school.
- Focus on your breath. Keep coming back to it as other thoughts try to push in.
- Practice makes perfect. Well not really- we’re not shooting for perfection, but practicing does help.
When I first began meditating the book Meditation for Beginners by Jack Kornfield was very helpful.
So are you up for the challenge? I would love to have you join in!