Imagine doing a load of laundry without laundry detergent and getting the same results. When SmartKlean sent me their laundry ball to try out I was intrigued. The intrigue was quickly overshadowed by the lingering question: how could this strange laundry ball replace the need for laundry detergent? The simple truth is we get pretty dirty over here. Three boys and a dog make for some messy loads of laundry. Time to put the SmartKlean Laundry Ball to the test.
The SmartKlean Laundry Ball is green, but is it really GREEN?
I’m always on the lookout for products that are innovative and eco friendly. The SmartKlean Laundry Ball is certainly innovative: it’s a funky looking green ball that sounds like a maraca when you shake it. The ceramic beads inside the laundry ball contain a mixture of different minerals that wash and clean your clothes. When the beads come in contact with water they essentially have the same effect as laundry detergent, but with no harsh chemicals. The ball stays in your washing machine for each load of laundry, giving a toxic-free wash without the use of expensive and/or toxic soap or detergent.
Why I like the SmartKlean Laundry Ball
- The laundry ball lasts for about 365 loads of laundry. For the average American, this can last for 1-3 years. Wow! No detergent for up to three years for each laundry ball. I’ve been using it for about 2 months now and I’m starting to really enjoy not adding detergent to the laundry.
- The SmartKlean Laundry Ball stays in your washing machine after each load-there is no need to take it out (caveat: the ball needs to be placed in the sun once a month to regenerate the pellets). I’ve had a little trouble remembering not to add detergent.
- No need to buy detergent. I’m not only saving money, but I’m reducing the number of empty, plastic laundry containers that end up in landfills.
- According to the company, the laundry ball and its packaging are both completely recyclable. The ceramics and magnets are biodegradable. BPA and PVC-free.
- The laundry ball reduces the amount of toxic chemicals entering out waterways. Conventional soaps and detergents have run off that enters bodies of water and harm wildlife.
- It’s hypoallergenic, non-toxic and leaves no residue of harsh chemicals on your clothing.
- I’ve done the math and using this laundry ball for 365 loads of laundry comes out to 8 cents per load. Not bad!
A few concerns
- It’s made from plastic. I’m working very hard to reduce the amount of plastic in my life, even BPA free plastic. However, there is much less plastic in this one laundry ball compared to the amount of plastic containers I’ve been using for non-toxic, chemical free detergent.
- There is no scent at all. If you like a little scent add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to your load of laundry.
- If you want suds-this isn’t for you.
- It doesn’t do a stellar job removing stains. Vinegar in addition to the laundry ball will help with this one.
- It’s not cheap. It costs $45.00 with a $5 shipping charge-grand total $50!
Does it work?
It really does. After a trial period of two months our clothes seem fresh and clean. I’m enjoying the ease and convenience of leaving the laundry ball in the machine after each use. Washing clothes without harsh chemicals and synthetic fragrance is invaluable-I’m willing to pay for it.
How to try a SmartKlean Laundry Ball
SmartKlean is offering readers of Groovy Green Livin a FREE SHIPPING discount when they purchase a SmartKlean Laundry Ball through THIS PAGE. You can also CLICK ON THE PINK SMARTKLEAN ADVERTISEMENT in the right column for the same discount.
Let me know what you think.
[Full disclosure: SmartKlean was kind enought to send me a Laundry Ball to try out. All opinions in this review are my own]