DAY 2 OF FEELING AWFUL
I can’t remember the last time I actually stopped working, crawled into bed and slept during the day-today was that day. Can you hear me hacking, shivering or whimpering? It’s not really that bad, I just thought I would try to evoke a bit of sympathy. But I do feel pretty horrible.
MY SYMPTOMS-IN CASE YOU WERE WONDERING
- Loss of appetite
- Coughing with phlegm (I hate that word)
- Strong desire to curl up in bed and sleep for weeks
NO OVER- THE- COUNTER MEDS (YET) FOR THIS GROOVY GREEN GIRL
Don’t get me wrong, I take medicine in certain situations. If I have strep or an ear infection-bring on the meds! But I feel like I can get through this one without conventional over-the-counter pharmaceutical help.
NATURAL REMEDIES I HAVE TRIED SO FAR
- Tea-lots of it. Hot or warm liquid can help break up congestion, but tea has extra benefits. Green and black tea contain compounds called theophyllines, which act as an anti-inflammatory and open up airways and ease breathing.
- Took one dose of Boiron Homeopathic Medicine Oscillococcinum for Flu, a homeopathic concoction that I picked up at Whole Foods.
- Chugging water–My body has been losing a lot of water, working overtime to combat this illness. I need to replenish the water and make sure I don’t get dehydrated.
- Sleep, sleep and more sleep–According to experts at The University of Chicago Medical Center, while I’m sleeping my cells are working hard to strengthen my immune system. Much needed at the moment!
- Garlic–Garlic has anti-bacterial properties that help the immune system fight infection. Garlic contains several helpful compounds, including allicin, one of the plant kingdom’s most potent antibiotics.
- Eating well–Although I have little to no appetite, I have been trying to eat healthy foods; limiting processed foods and refined sugars. I am also avoiding dairy products which can lead to increased mucus production-don’t need that.
If only my dear friend/acupuncturist was back from her vacation I would add acupuncture to my list. I know that time and rest will be the ultimate healer. But as I lay here suffering (insert cheesy violin music), I am looking for some suggestions from all you groovy green people out there.
Hit me up with all your home remedies. If they don’t help me, maybe they will help others. I will pick and choose a few and let you know what helped.
p.s. If sympathy was evoked, chocolate and trashy magazines are welcome.
*Disclosure: If you buy the Bioron through the Amazon link it will put a few pennies in my pocket-thanks!
**Top Photo used under Creative Commons from Anders Rueda