My morning routine needs a makeover. The past few mornings have been rough. Thanks to Daylight Saving Time we have sprung ahead into very dark mornings. The combination of cold temps and darkness make for a very active snooze button. I just don’t want to get out of bed.
How you begin your morning often sets the pace and tone for the rest of the day. Over the years I’ve found it extremely important to add a few simple healthy habits to my morning routine to help start the day off on the right foot.
As an aside, these are things that work for me and they might not work for you. It’s extremely important to figure out what morning routine fits into your life and own it. If you don’t, it won’t last.
Here are 5 of my favorites to add to my morning routine:
- Floss. Did you know that flossing your teeth can extend your life and improve your gum health-yes it can! Brushing your teeth without flossing is like cleaning 70% of your body. Everyone should be flossing-if you have teeth you should floss. Make sure you’re using floss without petroleum and Teflon. HERE are a few safe alternatives.
- Sunscreen. There’s no question, the best form of sun protection is to stay out of the sun (although a little outdoor time is recommended for much needed Vitamin D). It’s not realistic to stay out of the sun or cover-up 24/7 so we need to turn to sunscreen for some additional protection from the sun’s harmful rays. Find a safe, non-toxic sunscreen (don’t use a spray) and apply it every morning before you head outside.
- Exercise. Working out in the morning jump starts your metabolism and gives you an energy boost that will many times last throughout the day. I’ve been exercising in the morning for years and it works. Once it becomes part of your morning routine you won’t want to give it up. Remember to find a form of exercise that you love so you can stick with it.
- Screen-Free. I have to admit that most mornings I’m drawn to my phone to check emails and catch up on the latest news. But that can all wait. Take an hour or so for yourself before diving in.
- Breakfast. We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and there’s a very good reason: a healthy meal in the morning can balance your mood and help you handle what the day has in store for you. HERE are a few of my favorite foods to eat before my run or visit to the gym.
What are your favorite healthy habits in the morning?
photo credit: H is for Home via photopin cc